16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Writer's CrampTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!Three's a Crowd
    Quote Originally Posted by oldranger View Post
    Dino sounds like a good idea. I haven't targeted them yet need go get some more steel leaders. I have seen them twice real early just before sun ran them back out or down not sure where they go. If you plan to fish for them I recommend cotton balls with some kind of scent on them I use sardines and anise spray. Good luck and catch a big one.
    @oldranger made it down to the Durham access area yesterday morning with the boys trying to see if we would could sight the large Gar you saw a few weeks back. Great morning, nice to be out on the water, while trolling around looking I was casting a shakey head jig and caught four bass and missed a couple as well. No luck finding the Gar though. Wish I knew more about that area right there. We will have to get down there again another morning. Fished from 6:30 till just before 10. Thanks for the previous report, maybe we will see them next time, let me know if you keep seeing them.

-Joe D.

Hendrsonville nc but own home on hartwell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Script WriterHappy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me
    It seems the gar have moved out as the water drops. I haven't seen any in a week or so. Sorry It would of been awsome for your boys to get a look at those big ol toothy critters. If they come around again I will report back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Had granddaughters down last weekend my youngest said she want to catch a great big fish. So there are some good size gar working in our cove. I rigged up couple rods with steel leader got a bucket of minnows an bag of cotton balls. They caught 4 biggest around 10lbs the youngest hooked one at least 4 ft long before l could get to back of pontoon to help her it took rod/reel out of her hands. Oh Well what a blast watching them struggle with those toothy critters.
    Thanks Klag thanked for this post
    Likes Klag, Jmoorecatfishkiller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!A Little Bird Told Me
    How do you use the cotton balls? On a small hook? Cotton ball + minnow at the same time? Sounds very interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    I thread a hook threw the cotton ball hook minnow on then pull cotton down just above minnow. Cotton hangs in gar teeth allows for hook to set. I average about a 50% hook up its best way l have found to catch them with rod and reel.
    Thanks Klag thanked for this post
    Likes Klag liked this post

Knock Knock, Welcome Aboard!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements vB ExperiencedI'm Not Alone!A Little Bird Told Me
    I have never landed one but I have unintentionally hooked 2 before. They were hooked on a crankbait and a white fluke. Is it normal for them to chase artificial baits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Script WriterHappy Anniversary!Let's Talk...
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebreakr View Post
    I have never landed one but I have unintentionally hooked 2 before. They were hooked on a crankbait and a white fluke. Is it normal for them to chase artificial baits?
    I have caught only a few on crankbaits in the past, large minnows or herring seem to catch most of them for me. Not that they are my target fish by any means but when the striper or hybrid aren't chasing your bait sometimes these guys sweep in for a little snack.

-Joe D

Welcome Mat, Headed to the party.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Fresh MeatA Little Bird Told Me
    We targeted them off of our dock because they are so hard to catch and yet fun to catch. I have read about the yarn but I just used a really sharp hook and off course a steel leader. I always use some kind of live small fish for bait. I found that if you let them run and stop about three times the bait is pulled down past the teach. They will pull a lot of line. Then you can set the hook and the fight it on. They jump out of the water and really pull hard. Once we get them landed it is a challenge to get the hook out but I put a piece of wood between their teeth and work it up until the month is open (I used those steel lined gloves to hold them). Almost every time I can get the hook out otherwise I cut it off (I carry side cutters and long needle nose). The kids talk about catching these more than any other fish. You will enjoy the challenge and the catch. We release all the fish we catch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12