3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!Devil's Advocate

high pressure sodium light

anybody got any pro or cons about the light sold by home depot. intend to use for striper and hybrid night fishing.

Red Carpet, Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told MeI'm Not Alone!
    I use a green LED light from here http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/index.html the 24" and have never had any problems pulling in bait. Is there a secret to the sodium lights?
    Thanks Dennis Morgan thanked for this post

Receiving Treatment, Forum Addict Dennis Morgan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I use a green LED light from here http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/index.html the 24" and have never had any problems pulling in bait. Is there a secret to the sodium lights?
    I have a 4 ft. hydro glo light, works great, but slow to get bait in. if a H.P.S. light is near by the bait will leave and go to it, that is most of the bait. other than they will shine deeper and brighter, I guess there is no secret
    Thanks Jeff B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Script WriterHappy Anniversary!Let's Talk...
    As far as the High Pressure fixtures there are a number of quality fixtures out there, Lithonia Hi-Tek is very good. Just go to a local electrical wholesale house I.E. Graybar or Cambar and ask to look at a catalog of Outdoor High Intensity Discharge Light fixtures. The fixture will be roughly 14x14x6 with a yolk mount, this bracket enables you to pivot the light. You will have to choose the wattage you want and the voltage (obviously 120 volt). Avoid letting them try to sell you a multi-volt fixture, it costs more and you don’t need it. Also be sure to buy an outdoor rate good quality cord and socket. The housings are usually cast aluminum and sealed with a pyrex lense (I have known multiple people who get cheap units have their glass break on cheaper non tempered lenses). Another place you may consider looking is WW Grainger the catalog outfit, I believe they carry Lithonia also. Also remember these things are not lite probably 35-40 pounds so make sure and mount it well preferably on a bracket which you can easily install and remove.

You may also want to consider whether you want to go for a full 400 watt unit or if a 150 to 250 watt High Pressure Sodium Floodlight Fixture would do you. They are much more compact and can more easily be affixed to your boat, for easy attachment and removal. For comparison sake I think these numbers are roughly correct, a standard 500 watt quartz halogen lamp is ~ 10,500 lumens, a 250 watt High Pressure Sodium lamp is ~ 27,000 lumens and a 400 watt High Pressure Sodium gives you ~ 45,000 lumens. Friends of mine have fished a 250 Watt HPS light on lake Hartwell and caught fish in over 100 feet of water at night in the heat of the summer.

For powering your High Pressure Sodium lights and most any other 120v device out on your boat I personally believe Honda makes the best generators are the best available. Look into the EU1000 or EU2000, they are both great on fuel and super quiet. They are a bit pricey but you should a lifetime of service out of it if you treat them right.

Bottom line on the Home Depot units I have seen good ones and some poor quality ones as well over the years, it just really depends on the luck of what they are carrying right now. If it were me I would try to find some better quality name brand units and then after looking them over and feeling them make your own decision about the Home Depot model.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Joe D.; 06-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Thanks Dennis Morgan, umbrella-rig thanked for this post
    Likes umbrella-rig liked this post

Receiving Treatment, Forum Addict umbrella-rig's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!Let's Talk...Party of Five
    Dennis I bought one from home depot 2yrs ago and it's still running strong. It's a 400 and attatched to a 2X4, bought a 1000 watt inverter from harbor freight and a big deep cycle battery from auto zone. I get 6hrs on the light and bait in 10 - 30 min depending on the moonphase. Cheaper and quieter than a generator. Some think I'm nuts but it works lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by umbrella-rig; 06-11-2014 at 02:01 AM.
    Thanks Dennis Morgan, wkelly thanked for this post

Welcome Mat, Headed to the party.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Fresh MeatA Little Bird Told Me
    How do I know which product is the best among the ones listed here? https://bestfishfinders.website/best...ishing-lights/

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!
    Quote Originally Posted by umbrella-rig View Post
    Dennis I bought one from home depot 2yrs ago and it's still running strong. It's a 400 and attatched to a 2X4, bought a 1000 watt inverter from harbor freight and a big deep cycle battery from auto zone. I get 6hrs on the light and bait in 10 - 30 min depending on the moonphase. Cheaper and quieter than a generator. Some think I'm nuts but it works lol
    U-Rig:
    Good to hear from you. Interesting set-up-- two questions: do you really need 400W to pull in the bait? Like Dennis I have a hydro glo and it is very slow to pull in bait, so intensity and brightness is obviously key. Would a 75 or 150W work that much worse? Also-- can you post the make/model or link for the light you use?
    Thank you
    Bill K

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    wkelly,
    i would like to add another comment, if one has a generator and have a tight budget, they can pick up a couple of shop lights from lowes or home depot. i have tried a 150 watt on one side and a 500 watt or 250 watt on the other side they will bring in the bait , then put the hydro glo in to use and cut one of the lights off. i have had many nights the bait was so thick you could almost walk on them, but no fish would bite.
    good fishing
    Dennis Morgan
    Thanks wkelly thanked for this post

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!
    Thanks Dennis. However I have to admit I'm not sure I have either the room or a strong desire to run a generator on my boat unless I decide to start netting bait for a living! Getting kinda lazy in my old age, too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by wkelly View Post
    Thanks Dennis. However I have to admit I'm not sure I have either the room or a strong desire to run a generator on my boat unless I decide to start netting bait for a living! Getting kinda lazy in my old age, too...
    i to am a bit lazy in my old age 75+
    good netting
    Dennis Morgan
    Likes wkelly liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast