7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me

June Report

I had a friend come down to fish for 4 days. We fish in the morning from 6am until about 10 or 10:30. Fished between Martin Creek and Coneross. Found most fish on points in less than 45 fow. We caught roughly 24 lined fish of which all but one were stripers. Most were in the 4-7 lbs range. I feel like this was a success considering my lack of success this year up to now. We fished down lines just off the bottom. Caught a bunch of spotted bass and catfish but not a single large mouth bass. The spotted bass are somewhat problematic as they kill more bait than hook themselves. Our last day of fishing was cut short by the spots. We were out of bait by 9:30. Should have moved away from the spotted bass but we were doing well catching quality stripers.
    Thanks wkelly thanked for this post
    Likes JGC liked this post

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!
    Nice report and glad to hear a positive one! I hear ya about the spots. I used to try a stinger hook but it ended up being more of a hassle unhooking the fish (treble hooks are painful in a net) and seemed to affect the bite somewhat. Hoping ot get out this week and will report on any success.
    thanks.

Receiving Treatment, Forum Addict
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Slipped out yesterday morning putting in at Hatton's Ford. Headed down the lake below the confluence and found a few on a main point into the river channel. The action was fast and furious for about 30 minutes and then it was over by 7AM. We caught 6 nice stripers in the 5-7 lb class and 2 nice hybrids over 3lbs. Fish are very healthy and some of the stripers have some huge bellies. They must be eating well. It would be awesome if we could get this age class of fish to survive into the next year. I would love to be hooking into 9-10 lbers next year on a regular basis. Good luck to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Out this morning for another run at them. Put in at Hatton's Ford again and same pattern. Found 5 nice stripers, mixed in an almost 5 lb spot, and two decent channels. Second day in a row fishing in wind. Think I will wait until the wind dies down and isn't blowing out of the north. Fished shallow in water under 35 feet. Down to bottom and two cranks up. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Same pattern is still working. Caught 13 nice stripers and three good hybrids this morning by 8am. Fishing in 25-40 fow, clean hard bottom. Main points or secondary points close to main channel of Tugaloo. Not necessarily marking a lot or any fish when we set up. But not long after getting the bait down and a little chumming, they come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    KW-- are you anchoring up or downlining with a slow troll?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Anchor using MinnKota electronic anchor. Works good as long as it's not too windy. Downlining mostly. To the bottom and up 2.5 turns on the reel. We have also caught a few good fish on a free line out the back, no weight. Had fish on the graph and they won't bite so did a slow troll to about 50 yards away and in the middle of the slow troll two lines went down hard and they were very good fish. It was tuff to get the rods out of the holders as the rods were completely loaded with tips into the water. An awesome sight to see and feel. Love the nice size class we are catching this year. If they make it through the late summer, they will be some very nice fish next year. Good luck.
    Likes wkelly, JGC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Went out Monday and then again this morning. Using same pattern as previously mentioned. The bite this morning only lasted about 30 mins and it was slow for me. At 10Am I hit T14 and set up on BD channel. Landed a nice 7-8 lb striper at 52 ft in 92 fow. Saw fish at 80 fow but the bait would not stay alive at this depth. Bait did very well at 52fow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Finally got out for a little bit this morning; didn't have time to get bait so just trolled plugs and cast silver shads around the bay near my place. Caught a little 4-5 lb striper on a deep plug; lots of fun on light gear. Also landed a few spots but the fun one was a 4 lb largemouth that didn't want to cooperate at all. Not a bad morning for a short trip. I was mostly in 15-30 FOW hitting points and in the back of a creek. Temp was 79.5. Think I'll leave the beers in the fridge tonight and get up early for bait tomorrow and see what else is out there.
    Thanks keywest thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good info wkelly. We use light tackle on our free lines and yes, what a ride you get. Wkelly, have you marked any schooling fish or spaghetti graphs up your way this year? hoping to get out tomorrow morning as well. Not sure where to go. May go back to Coneross since the water is not in 80's yet. Last two trips below the two rivers confluence was not that productive. I will report what I find. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast