Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!
    Sounds like the fish are still up river, despite the water temps; O2 must still be in good shape up there-- thanks for the report!

Headed to Rehab, Forum Enthusiast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements I'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me
    Yes, O2 is still fine. I usually don't move down lake until the bait starts to die. When the bait dies in the water column, it's time to move. That will most likely be in the next two to four weeks. Good luck.
    Thanks wkelly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Last Saturday morning there were a fair number of striper boats fishing Coneross Creek. We were down lining like the majority of the boats but two boats were trolling Urigs through the channel and having good success. It has been a little difficult to weed through the peanut stripers this year. Had to just leave some spots before we ran out of bait. We were able to find some larger fish in the 2-4 lb range, but it is certainly not as easy as past years.

Will these peanuts be in the 2-4 lb size class next year?

Where are the 5-10lb class fish this year? Any help would be appreciated.

Knock Knock, Welcome Aboard!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me
    Thanks for the info. I guess its "misery loves company" I've tried all methods except for dynamite and have had poor results. I can't seem to find the fish and when I do they are small. I've only been fishing in Hartwell for a few years. Anyone care to share suggestions? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wish I could give you more info Croc. I would look in the 30-45 fow range mid lake. You can read my posts above. I have been fishing around Clemson and can only find peanuts, Down in the Coneross Creek the fish are a little bigger but also many schools of peanuts you just have to weed through. I have had no luck towards the bottom of the Tugaloo or Seneca River towards the dam in my usually good spots. Not saying they are not there somewhere, they are just not where I normally find them. Look for small pockets or flats in the 30-45 fow with deeper water close by. I assume you are fishing in the morning. If not, try the mornings. The bite slows down around 9:30-10:30AM. Generally look in the areas of major creek confluences with the main rivers or slightly upstream into the tribs. I have seen very little bait pods this year but I bet if you found a fair amount of bait pods the fish will be close by. With the rising water temps the fish will be heading into deeper water very soon. Look for those same flats in the 60-80 fow with deeper water close by. When your bait starts dying in less than 45 fow, move down the lake into deeper water. This generally doesn't happen until towards the end of June but again, if your bait is dying, you need to go deeper.

Anyone else can throw their two cents on this board. It kind of sucks being one of the very few that offer any suggestions. Post your results good or bad. We can all learn from both. It's a big lake and even if you gave someone your numbers, good chance the fish won't be there tomorrow. Good luck and keep up your efforts and please post your results with just basic information as to your pattern and location.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've been in the same boat as everyone else it seems like, and from what I have read throughout the area, we are not alone. I believe the positive that can be drawn is that the restocking of the lake is going well. I think in the next couple of years, these peanuts we have been catching will be the nice 2lb-5lb class that we love hanging. I've been doing more bass fishing than rock fishing, but when I have found the schools of hybrids, they have been in and around 35 FOW. I haven't seen any around the big flats, but they have been hanging just off one side or the other of long points near deep water. I've been fishing around mid-lake, Portman's Marina, and just up the respective rivers. Best of luck guys...
    Thanks keywest thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks keywest and rockfish22 for the reply and info. I have been fishing in the early morning as I too found the bite is done by late morning. I just spoke with another guy who said he gave up on fishing during the day and only fishes at night using lights to attract bait, and the fish move in. The DNR is holding a seminar on striper fishing lake hartwell 24 June at 6:30pm at the Anderson civic center. See ya there

Welcome Mat, Headed to the party.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!
    I went out Thursday and Friday for a couple hours between the storms and heavy rain. I fished mostly in Coneross Creek in the main channel and caught a few small hybrids using umbrella rigs. Those fish were in 40-60 feet of water and around bait schools.

With the cooler temps next week, I doubt the fish will move down lake until later, but I'm certainly no expert.

Good luck

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    On Saturday and Sunday morning I found them in Coneross just off a long point in 35-45 FOW like Rockfish22 indicated in a previous post. If i drifted too far off the spot I was catching catfish. The catfish were rather aggressive so I worked on them rather hard. Put quite a few in the boat. Managed to fish between the rain and practically had the entire lake to myself. Only one or two other boats out braving the weather. It certainly paid off.

Same pattern. 35-45 FOW Just off a point or beginning of a flat near the channel. Saturday brought bigger fish and Sunday brought more cats. Surface water temp sunday was 80 degrees, down 2 degrees from the weekend before.

I stopped night fishing when I learned you could catch them in the morning. Age has something to do with it too. But I did have a buddy go out at night about 3 or 4 weeks ago and did well. Good fishing all. Hope to get out next weekend again.

In Denial, Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Devil's AdvocateHappy Anniversary!
    Went out at 6:30 last night. Pulling urigs 130 feet back. Caught two stripers. 1 - 3 lb, 1 -8 lbs. Lower Tugaloo near Barrets Pond. First fish I've marked in the area. Maybe th rain has pushed them downstream.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast