Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!

Flint River Float

Not sure where to put this post, but will try here: My son and i are planning to do a canoe trip and fish for shoal bass on the Flint river this coming weekend. I was thinking about camping at the Flint River Outdoor center and paying for them to shuttle us 10 mi up river and float down. Has anyone done this or have any tips or warnings? I've seen some really iffy comments online about the outdoor center. Any tips on lures would also be appreciated.
    thanks

Receiving Treatment, Forum Addict
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Devil's AdvocateHappy Anniversary!
    Maybe go ask someone in GON? 10 miles sounds like a really long float trip. Do you have an idea of how long that would be? I would guess maybe 10 hours if the rapids aren't too bad.
    Thanks wkelly thanked for this post

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks-- I figure 5-7 hrs w/ fishing; possibly longer but we're planning to camp where we take out. I'll post about the trip if the weather cooperates and we go for those interested.

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thought I'd post an update on our Flint River float. Drove to the Flint River Outdoor ctr in Thomaston friday afternoon and tent camped that night. We camped on the site across the river from the main site (the main site is largely set up for RVs)-- and although it has water and some electric in spots, the single bathroom is a port-a-john. Luckily it has a spigot and hose next to it to spray it out before use. Not a prettywoman-type setup. My wife would have demanded that we leave that afternoon. No showers at either of the sites.

They run a shuttle at 9 am from the ctr to sprewell shoals, ~ 5-7 mi upstream, which is not cheap (~$30 ).... plus you don't get on the river until almost 10 am, at which point the sun is pretty high and past the best fishing time. If we do this again we'll bring two vehicles and park one in the paved public area across the river from the Ctr.
    The river was running a little high (~6-7 ft near the Ctr) and was stained, but I can imagine if it was much lower we'd be dragging the canoe across rocks for half the trip. Some of the shoals are pretty interesting runs in a canoe, so kayaks would be best.
    The river is pretty much two types of fishing: fast water with deep runs at the major shoals, and long stretches of slow water that can be fairly deep in spots. The shoal bass are in the fast water, and the best approach for these is to get out of your kayak/canoe at the top and work the runs from the rocks; then shoot down and paddle back up to them and work the outflows and edges from the bottom. There are lots of smaller shoals that are easy to fish with smaller fish in them; but the bigger shoalies are in the deeper runs at the bigger shoals.

For the long flat sections, I'd recommend spinner baits for largemouths, but there's just not that much structure that's obvious, so a float with a worm would probably be boring but productive; at least the bream and catfish will give you some entertainment. In the shoals, rooster tails seemed to be the best-- anything with a flash in stained water -- but my guess is that most baitfish imitations would work well. My guess is that when the water is up, it is stained; when it's clear, the river is low and harder to paddle down without dragging.

Overall: This time of year there are a lot of folks just tubing and floating for fun on the river, so it can get crowded if you wait to take the shuttles; I'd get out ahead of all that by getting on the water before 7. I'd recommend single kayaks over canoes unless you and the other paddler have experience in minor rapids-- saw more than a couple canoes get flipped.

I'll probably do this again, maybe in the fall, but may just do a day trip and avoid the outdoor center altogether. If you look at the comments on yelp and their facebook site, I can vouch that most of the negatives are oddly true and we experienced some of each of the complaints, including drunk idiots raising hell and splashing around in the river until after 3 am-- at which point I shouted for them to shut the f--- up, and surprisingly, they did. Go figure. We were also confronted by the owner when leaving the campsite-- asking us what we were doing there. I guess they have a hard time keeping track, even though we'd had conversations with the guy several times, had the permit displayed on my dash, and even tho we were the ONLY campers on that side of the river....it was just weird how well our visit tracked with the yelp complaints I'd thought were overblown when i first read them.