2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me

Backing line on reel for braid

Just wondering what you guys use for backing line when your spooling up some new braid.
    Any suggestions for how best to split a single spool of braid across two reels?

Experience and suggestions would be welcome but I am itching to put some new line on so make em quik.

Headed to Rehab, Forum Enthusiast 91tiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements A Little Bird Told MeHappy Anniversary!
    I have lots of old brands of braid sitting around like Power Pro, Stren and Tough Line. I now use Suffix 832 exclusively, great line. I just spool about half way up with the old line then do a uni to uni connection between the two braids. When you first put the braid on the spool, after the knot, make three of four wraps then put on some electrical tape where it is making contact with the surface of the spool. Braid is so slick a big fish making a hard run can break the whole spool of line free and it will just spin on the spool, you can't gain an inch of line if this happens.

If you don't have any older braid, use any mono, it doesn't matter unless you are expecting a hard charging fish to run that much line off. But just use the same uni to uni knot to connect the mono to the braid. I do about 4 to 5 wraps on the uni for the mono and 7 for the braid. I trim the tags and burn the end down. It makes a nice compact connection.

I know the uni to uni is plenty strong. I do a ton of tarpon fishing in South Florida and I spool my live bait reels with 150 yards of 20 pound braid, then 150 yards of 30 pound braid then about 75 yards of 40 pound braid. I join them all with the uni to uni and it has never failed.

That set up gives me maximum capacity for the long runs without having to use a huge reel. People accuse me of catching them on bass tackle with this set up and they aren't far off. I do the heavy line up top because most of the battle with a tarpon is within 40 yards of the boat. When they make a massive run we aren't putting much pressure on them, we are just running them down with the engine.

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by 91tiger; 05-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Welcome Mat, Headed to the party.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi basswrangler, I know that this is an old post and you have probably found an answer by now, but I wanted to add my opinion since others might find it useful.

I have used cheap walmart mono for this purpose in the past. You can buy a cheap spool for 3 or 4 bucks and use it, but I have found something that I prefer to do instead of using backing. The reason for backing is to make the braid go farther since it is so much more expensive, but what I do is to fill my spool completely with braid. Next year I transfer it to another reel with the used, worn, faded end as backing. Basically using both ends of the spool.

Brad