2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements No Longer a NewbieA Little Bird Told Me

White perch

I have read about them, seen plenty of youtube videos, and even did a search on this forum to see if anyone on here is catching them, but in 60+years of fishing, I have neither seen one in person or caught one. It seems that they are in Hartwell in pretty good numbers, although I read about some years they seem to disappear. Does anyone actually fish for them? If so, what areas in the lake would they be catchable? I hate to sound ignorant, but I really would like to catch some!

Redbeard

Catching on every cast, Legend wkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Posting GuruLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!I'm Not Alone!
    I caught one while drifting minnows about in 20 ft of water last year-- only one I've ever caught on lanier, and wasn't sure what it was at first-- hadn't seen one in years since fishing tidal creeks/brackish water off the chesapeake bay when I was a kid. My guess is they aren't deep or anywhere near the stripes and big cats might hang out......they are plenty delicious for fish, too. My guess the "years they disappear" are years when the stripes and catfish are heavy and abundant ;-)
    Maybe try shallow creeks and banks near underwater grass/weeds??

Headed to Rehab, Forum Enthusiast 91tiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements A Little Bird Told MeHappy Anniversary!
    The perch seem to show up in big numbers in the late fall and early winter when the water temps get into the 50's. They will actually be right in with the hybrids a lot of time during this period. We catch them mostly jigging with spoons then. They tend to hang right on the bottom. But go watch some of the videos on you tube with guys drifting little tiny pieces of cut bait for them on Lake Norman in the summer time. The crazy thing is, one of the best cut baits for them is little pieces of white perch.

Not Yet Addicted, Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me
    We catch a lot of them at Santee just off the bottom. I've fished Hartwell since 1968 and have only got a handfull in all those years!

Headed to Rehab, Forum Enthusiast JimmyJonny's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!A Little Bird Told Me
    I've been using and catching white perch here for years, there's a lot of them. I myself use sabiki rigs tipped with herring or worms. They can be anywhere but we mostly target them in 20'-40' FOW. You can jig them or just set the rod in the holder and wait. They usually travel in big schools and are near the bottom a lot..... but, fish are fish and they do what they want.

Look up my buddy ... " Fishing with Mac ". He has a lot of videos and he knows how to fish. He's a guide on Norman.
    Thanks Redbeard thanked for this post
    Likes Jmoorecatfishkiller liked this post

Welcome Mat, Headed to the party.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements No Longer a NewbieA Little Bird Told Me
    Are they predictable enough to target them with any success? I would like to be able to catch some for bait, but also wouldn't mind a mess to eat!

Redbeard

Headed to Rehab, Forum Enthusiast 91tiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Achievements A Little Bird Told MeHappy Anniversary!
    The Savanah river lakes all have them but I only run into them in big numbers in late fall. But I have never specifically targeted them on those lakes. Greenwood and Murray are full of them. Greenwood is choked out with them so they don't seem as big there. The ones we catch on Murray are the biggest I have caught in SC.

On Greenwood they run way up the Saluda river at the same time as the white bass (probably right now) and people catch them on tiny jigs in spinners from the bank right around the shoals above the Hwy 25 bridge. You can tell when they are there because the cars are parked all over the road by the bridge. I fished spawning hybrids up both arms of Hartwell since I was a kid and don't remember ever catching a perch.
    Thanks Redbeard thanked for this post